The Servant’s Heart Award
In 2011, First Lady Sandra Deal chose her platform to be “With a Servant’s Heart.” Volunteerism, community involvement and utilizing talents for the betterment of the community are its foundation. The First Lady is committed to reach each Georgian to spread awareness of the importance of volunteerism. As Co-Chair of the Georgia Children’s Cabinet, First Lady Deal would like to recognize a youth in each county that embodies “With a Servant’s Heart;” an outstanding individual in your community who dedicates time, efforts and skills to make a difference.
We are calling on County Commissioners to select a “With a Servants Heart” winner to be automatically entered into the statewide competition.
Each County Commission can choose one youth in their county between the ages of 12 and 18 to nominate for the Servant’s Heart Award. From those nominations, the Georgia Children’s Cabinet will choose the individual who most represents “With a Servant’s Heart” with the following characteristics:
- Engages in the creation, organization, and/or mobilization of volunteers, groups and resources that are involved in projects benefiting the greater community.
- Demonstrates sustained commitment to meeting community needs.
- Utilizes unique and creative approaches to meeting needs.
- Develops and fosters the virtues and skills of civic engagement and social responsibility.
- Enthusiastic about service
DEADLINE: Each county nominee must be submitted the County Commission by January 2, 2014.
Please send in a one page submission answering the following questions:
- In what ways do their volunteer and community service efforts encompass “With a Servant’s Heart?”
- What impact have they had on their community?
- How has volunteerism changed their lives?
Each county nominee will receive a Servant’s Heart Award signed by the First Lady and will be entered into the state award.
The final winner will receive:
- A photo with Governor Nathan Deal, First Lady Sandra Deal, and their County Commissioners
- Will be honored on the Governor’s Office for Children and Families website
- A press release about the winner and their county
Submissions can be sent to:
Governor's Office for Children and Families
7 Martin Luther King Jr. Drive SW
Atlanta, GA 30334